TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF
I am the Professor of Design and Manufacture and Executive Dean of the AMRC at the University of Sheffield. The AMRC comprises the AMRC with Boeing, the Nuclear AMRC and the AMRC Apprentice Training Centre. The AMRC with Boeing was established in 2001 to carry out research in manufacturing technologies directly related to the aerospace industry.
In addition to Boeing, the AMRC has more than 80 sponsors, including Airbus, BAe Systems, Rolls-Royce, Messier Bugatti Dowty, Goodrich and Spirit Aviation. The application of the research developed has led to a step change in the manufacturing capability of many of the industrial sponsors, and encouraged their on-going commitment and support.
WHAT WERE YOU LOOKING FOR IN A WINNING PITCH?
- I am particularly keen to see innovative products that could be manufactured in the UK.
- Keen to see innovations where the entrepreneur had assessed the potential market, and also has a clear understanding of the method of manufacturing, manufacturing costs, potential market and income generated.
- Vital that the entrepreneur has drive and personality to sell the idea.
GIVE US THREE INTERESTING LINKS FOR ANY START-UP
- The Catapults can help to give good ideas support and assist them to get to the next stage. If the idea needs manufacturing support the High Value Manufacturing Catapult would be appropriate: hvm.catapult.org.uk
- If the innovation is App or digital related then the Digital Catapult would be appropriate: digital.catapult.org.uk
- In the Sheffield City Region Dotforge Business Accelerator is an option: sheffieldcityregion.org.uk/dotforge-accelerator