Tell us about yourself
My name is Kevin Bennett and I am the Head of Business Growth and Investment for Creative Sheffield; the City’s economic development agency. I have worked with growing businesses, both large and small, throughout a career in central and local Government.
What do you look for in a winning pitch?
In a pitch, I am looking for four things:
- An idea that is novel and potentially bringing something new to the market. Ideally, something that is capable of addressing a societal issue and changing people’s lives for the better;
- Something that has potential to be scalable and some evidence that the Entrepreneur can substantiate the opportunity;
- Confidence in the individual and team; technical substance on one hand, but clear passion and determination to deliver on the other;
- Clarity in the ‘ask’. Are they looking for mentoring, finance or contacts. It is important to be clear what kind of support is required at different stages of development.
Give us three interesting links for any start-up
- www.startuploans.co.uk – initial finance opportunity and general business support.
- www.bl.uk/business-and-ip-centre – excellent range of events and source of information to support growth and protect IP.
- technorthhq.com – great networking and support for accelerating tech start up growth.